Thank you for thinking about volunteering as a teacher!
We are always looking for middle and high school experienced musicians to teach
elementary school children. That’s where you come in, I would like for you to join
our teaching team because I can’t do this without people like you.
We all live in the community but are not sponsored by the school system. In Hanover
currently, we have one violin teacher, three guitar teachers, four piano teachers,
one viola teacher and a flute teacher but we are always looking for instructors of
different instruments. Most teachers have committed to one or two students to teach
thirty minute weekly lessons at their house. These are supervised lessons. The
students will provide their own book and instrument. You will specify which beginner
book you want to use and provide me with a resume of your musical background which
is something I share with the student, but your information is never given out
without your permission. You will be put directly in touch with the student to
schedule lessons at a mutually-agreed upon time. Each session runs from the end of
September through the end of May and in Hanover we follow the Hanover County
calendar for days off and breaks.
Students have to be able to read and commit to weekly lessons and daily practice.
They can only sign up for one September to May session.
Email us here
if you're interested in becoming a teacher in Hanover.
Email us here
if you're interested in becoming a teacher in Frederick.
- Teach elementary school-age children beginner music lessons one day a week for
30 minutes, you will received a total of 1 hour of community service time for
lesson planning, teaching, and communications with your students and their
- The number of students you have is up to you. Most teachers have just one or
two, but others have 3 and 4. We don’t recommend more than 4. Commit to one
September to May session each year.
- You are responsible to set your schedule and make-ups, if they will be
- Lessons given at your house, in Hanover following the Hanover County School
schedule from the end of September through May.
- You provide a music resume of your background.
- You plan lessons and provide only your beginner music book and instrument. The
student has to provide their book and instrument.
- Make a positive difference in our community by sharing your musical talent
with students that are not offered instrument music classes as a resource
because of economic budget cuts. Keep music alive in the lives of these
- Be part of a community service project opportunity and earn service hours
which are now accepted for academic program and club community service hour
- Earn teaching experience, leadership, and communication skills, and get
additional practice in every week with your own instrument.
- Be a mentor and role model for younger students.
- Be invited to participate in special events to promote music education, like
the Disney short film taped in March 2013 and the Nickelodeon event taped in
- Music To My Ears is a Certifying Organization of the President's Volunteer
Service Award. With enough volunteer hours, you could be recognized by this